I have made these 2-3 times now. A real hit with my family. Unfortunately, the almond flour crust does NOT like to be overbaked, and so much to my chagrin, the topping gets devoured and the crust left behind. But if you do not overbake the crust, you will be tickled pink–or lemon yellow! One of mine even likes the crust, shall we call it, “overbrowned“! I have taken the lemon bars into preschool for snacks twice, and this time it is for the letter “L” in our “Snack through the Alphabet.”
Please note that this recipe is for TWO 9×13 pans!!! One to send to school and one for the family!
4 cups almond flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoonsful salt
4-6 tablespoonsful of oil (I’ve used coconut oil and even olive oil.)
6 tabelspoonsful of honey
2 tablespoonsful vanilla extract
Plus additional oil to oil pans
1 and 1/4 cup oil (as mentioned above, I’ve used coconut oil and vegetable oil)
1 and 1/4 cup honey
2 cups lemon juice, on the scant side (I used freshly juiced)
2 teaspoonsful baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Oil two 9X13 glass baking dishes.
3. Dump (yes, dump) all of the crust ingredients into a large bowl (begin with the 4 tablespoonsful of oil and add more if needed to hold the dough together) and mix well with hands to make a “dough” that holds together but breaks easily.
4. Divide the crust mixture between the two baking dishes and press the dough into the bottoms of the baking dishes.
5. Bake the crusts for 5 minutes. Do not allow to brown. Take out after the 5 minutes.
5. While crusts are baking, put all of the lemon topping ingredients in a large bowl and mix with an electic mixer until smooth and mixed well.
6. Pour the topping mixture over the lightly baked crusts.
7. Return to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. I repeat, the crust can easily overbrown and taste burnt. The topping will still be delectable, but you will be mad about the crust.
8. Allow to cool and then refrigerate. Best served cold.
I am waiting for the time to make this into a pie with a beautiful meringue topping!