19 thoughts on “What I Want My Daughters to Know about Motherhood

1. myjourneythrume

Terri, this is beautiful! And incredibly useful and supportive. I am filing it away under essential reading for when I have a screaming baby in my arms….Jx p.s hope your toddler didn’t start screaming when you lifted her away from the keyboard!

2. Jhanis

Yes to everything! Especially 9. Took me a while but that was the way to go with my daughter. Motherhood is absolutely crazily beautiful. Crazy most days but beautiful. 🙂

I have a way younger sister. She wouldn’t pick up her toys one day when I asked her to nicely a long time ago. I tried making it fun. I tried showing her I’d help. Nope. She wouldn’t have it. Well, she got carried upside down, kicking and screaming, and her hand placed on the toy. Dang it. I told her to pick up her toys and she was going to do it one way or another. 😜 I wonder if she remembers that. LOL!

Here’s to more crazy and more beautiful! And your little Jhanis.

3. Denise

Great post. You are awesome and I am sure your children will look back with fond memories.
    Just recall you have learned a lot as a mother. Even instilled more into the four beautiful daughters you and Brandon have created.

My mom still picks me up when I throw fits. And gets out the wooden spoon. 🙂 Ha! I like it when my mom talks about parenting with me. Do you guys (y’all) talk about it together much (you and your mom?) I love to hear what they say! (Except when I don’t [like what she’s saying–lol!]). Keep warm there.

4. All Seasons Cyclist

Several years ago I was elected to the Board of Education in one of the Chicago suburbs. One night at a school board meeting an exasperated mother said, “A teenager is just someone going through the ‘terrible twos’ in a bigger body.” Babies do grow up, but sometimes not as fast as they should.

I wish I would have read this before I had Z… awesome and so true. #9 especially I love so much! I will call once and if it doesn’t work, I am sneaking up to Z and making my presence known haha.

It keeps the back and arms tone, is what I say! 🙂 I’ll get flabby arms once number four is too big to be picked up. –I’ll tell you though, I can still vividly remember that woman’s tone of voice and everything. It was strange what an impression it made on my brain.

Well, have a good week! I suppose you’re sleeping right now.

Aha! That’s why my arms are getting so un-muscly… Hahah!
        I have heard that voice and many other annoying ones from moms I have met.
        I always feel somewhat bad for their obvious frustration that their child isn’t listening, but at the same time feel like saying, get up off your butt and go get them. Haha… Good thing I don’t always speak my mind

6. kemkem

Awwh..this is so sweet and this is coming from someone who isn’t sentimental :-). Your kids will cherish it. I salute you, l know how much of a pain l was to ma mere 😀