Hemp Bars

Hemp barsHemp seed.  I picked it up for a recipe I wanted to try and discovered it’s a useful little seed.  It is typically imported from Canada because the USA wouldn’t allow farmers to grow it.  It has exceptionally miniscule levels of a marijuana-like substance.  About like poppy seeds and opium probably.  Once I found out how much we liked it, I tried to talk my farmer dad into growing hemp instead of soybeans and corn, since the USA has recently legalized its growth.  No go for the farm boy who was drafted in the flowery era to head off to Vietnam.

These bars are a twist-off from some bars that a beautiful neighbor brought us.  The original was called “Dr. Oz Energy Bars” and used oats.  Here is my family’s version.

Hemp Bars

2 cups of hemp seed
1 cup of peanut butter
6 T honey or maple syrup
2/3 cup chopped dried fruit (we like dates, raisins, cranberries, and cherries)
2 t vanilla
1/4 cup of chocolate chips (or sunflower seeds instead)

Mix all ingredients together well.  Press into an 8″X8″ pan.  Refrigerate for two or more hours.  Cut into bars.  Best served chilled to hold their shape best.

Closing:

I also have found that hemp makes a great “cereal” when mixed with fresh fruit, cinnamon and nutmeg, and a “milk.”  My kids like to do this.  It also works well for me to make cobbler topping, kind of like you would do for an oatmeal topping.  I was really excited to discover that use!  Hemp seed has a chewy, nutty type of flavor.  Unlike other nuts and seeds, you’re not supposed to soak it.  The bad news about hemp is that it’s awful darn expensive.

Have you tried hemp seed in your home?  Do you think my dad should grow hemp or corn and soybeans?  Is your diet going the way you want?  Can you tell a difference when it does?

Lastly, I am working on this site, to make it more aesthetically pleasing.  But, functionality is most important to me.  So, if you notice the site loads more slowly, will you kindly tell me in the comments?

Food imaging done by my girls.

Have a super weekend!

22 thoughts on “Hemp Bars

1. agmorze

These look delicious! I’ve been in a bit of a food rut so I can’t wait to make these for my family. We’ve never tried hemp seeds. And your recipes have never disappointed 🙂 I can see how a change now would be tough for your dad but with it being legal to grow I think growing hemp seeds may be a great option! I am curious about what will happen with corn and soybean growers if all GMO foods will have to be labeled in the future… Has he tried the bars yet? 🙂

My husband likes them a lot. He eats the whole pan, and then asks me: How many calories are in those? (I don’t count calories. He does. And hemp is fairly dense calorically…) LOL!

My dad would eat the bars if I made them for him, but he still eats all the processed bad stuff. I can’t get my parents converted. It kills me. Literally kills me. And I just had the GMO ranting talk with my Dad–he planted some GMO sweet corn a friend gave him. (“It was cheap,” he said. “Cheap does not mean good. Do not sell out again. You hear me?” I said!) Oh, well. What to do.

Back to hemp and my dad. He farms with his brother.—Once, they caught someone growing the wrong kind of hemp in one of their corn fields!!!

I hope you like the bars if you try them. Intolerance-wise, I do fine if I don’t eat too many of them. My kids have no issues with them.

2. Nicole, The Non-Toxic Nurse

We have a bag of hemp seeds in our refrigerator. We have only tried them plain thus far. We think they taste alright plain–absolutely agree that they taste nut-like. Thanks for sharing the ways you have used them thus far. Our bag (Nutiva brand) was full of hulls, so I may buy a different brand next time. I love your new photo! Tell your girls they did a great job with the food photography!

Yes. I guess the hulls are the green stuff, eh? I’ll try a different brand too then. To see if some have less hulls. Maybe I could eat more of them with less hulls. 🙂 Thanks regarding our photo stuff. I appreciate that. The girls are so helpful to me. I’ll bet your daughter is growing up, yes?!

1. nontoxicnurse

Yes, she is growing fast and is equal parts helpful and sassy, haha! Only five, but sometimes it feels like I am arguing with a teenager. She is still loving “Life of Fred.” She is on Goldfish now. Thanks again for telling me about it!

3. Tim

I love the look of the new site! I am getting bored with mine, too.

re: hemp. Now legal where I live as well. I also wanted to grow some, so I ordered a bag of hemp seeds from Amazon (These: Nutiva Hemp Seeds). But, alas, when I got them, I discovered it looked as if a mouse had gotten in the bag and chewed up all the seeds!

Nope, it turns out that it is illegal to sell whole, viable hemp seeds. They have to grind them up before they can sell them. How strange. I’m not really all that interested in growing the other kind of hemp, but I have no idea where one would obtain industrial hemp seeds legally in the US.

The Nutiva seeds I bought are great for just eating right out of the bag. We have not tried cooking with them yet, but now I have a great recipe! Thanks.
    Tim

Oh my Gosh! Put hemp seeds in the bottom of a cereal bowl, heap on those wild blueberries you hunt, a drizzle of maple syrup, and a spoonful of tiger nut flour. Top with some coconut milk (or milk of choice–but NOT hemp milk. Yuck). THAT is cereal.

I decided since I was sticking around a while, I’d spruce up the house (blog).

I never thought about if the seeds were viable. Is that why they don’t need soaked?

4. Jhanis

I have not seen or tasted hemp my entire life! LOL cant see the changes on your site yet coz I’m on mobile but love the new cover photo on your FB page!! You look so beautiful!

5. Debbie

YES! Your dad should grow hemp! Especially if the corn and soybeans are genetically modified! We like the sweet nuttiness of hemp seeds….we add it to our gluten free granola, smoothies and yogurt, homemade chocolate candy, etc. Not a lot, since it’s high in omega 9, but a sprinkle adds a nice flavor to foods…. Hemp for Victory is an interesting film made by the Federal govt. back during WW2…..promoting hemp production. Show that to your dad. Henry Ford made a car from hemp, it can be used for construction or fuel or food….lots of benefits. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p52Epx6lJes

I had no idea! Hemp for Victory! I will scan your link and pass it on to my dad. He’s pretty entrenched. Like I was in medicine. The conventional way draws you in. And he says, “Terri, it’s [Roundup) better than all the strong pesticides and herbicides we were literally dumping on the crops before…” I don’t know. I see the point in that. That’s no good either. But if we ate smaller, more local, and with less waste. And many other things too large for this small comment box. 🙂 I’d like your gluten-free granola recipe. I have one, but it uses almonds so I can’t eat it really without being mad at myself (headaches).

6. myjourneythrume

I love hemp seeds and often add them to smoothies to up the protein content. I’ve never done anything else with them though so will definitely give this recipe a try. I love your new blog header by the way, you look gorgeous 🙂 Jess

Jess, I am so happy to hear from you! You have been missed! Yes, try these bars. I do think you’ll like them, and I popped some leftovers in the freezer a couple of days ago, snitching one or two or more here and there to eat. They were even better frozen! The new frozen Snicker bar? 🙂 (And thank you for the very, very nice words!) Be well!–Terri

7. Lindsay

Whoa! New pics! Love love love them, gorgeous mama!!

Haven’t made hemp bars yet. The hemp is sitting on my kitchen counter, just waiting for me to have time to throw some together. Maybe Sunday. Thanks for the recipe!

Thanks for all your motivation, Lindsay–in so many ways!

If you make these bars, I discovered they are even better frozen. Much better than a Snicker’s Bar. (Don’t ask me where that thought came from. Dunno.)

Till we talk again!

1. Lindsay

Guess who FINALLY made some hemp bars?! 😉 I modified a little, of course (I can’t follow a recipe to save my life, anymore…). I think they’re going to be good!

8. Tim

Terri – I just read this and thought about you. I wonder if hemp seeds contain these compounds? Maybe you could talk to a medical marijuana grower and see if he can decipher which chemicals are in what type of hemp and see if there is a way to use this effect for gut motility. From: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15100166

“From a historical perspective to the present day, all the evidence suggests that activation of cannabinoid receptors (CBRs) is beneficial for gut discomfort and pain, which are symptoms related to dysmotility and visceral perception. CBRs comprise G-protein coupled receptors that are predominantly in enteric and central neurones (CB1R) and immune cells (CB2R). In the last decade, evidence obtained from the use of selective agonists and inverse agonists/antagonists indicates that manipulation of CB1R can alter (1) sensory processing from the gut, (2) brain integration of brain-gut axis, (3) extrinsic control of the gut and (4) intrinsic control by the enteric nervous system. The extent to which activation of CB1R is most critical at these different levels is related to the region of the GI tract. The upper GI tract is strongly influenced by CB1R activation on central vagal pathways, whereas intestinal peristalsis can be modified by CB1R activation in the absence of extrinsic input. Actions at multiple levels make the CB1R a target for the treatment of functional bowel disorders, such as IBS. Since low-grade inflammation may act as a trigger for occurrence of IBS, CB2R modulation could be beneficial, but there is little supporting evidence for this yet. The challenge is to accomplish CBR activation while minimizing adverse effects and abuse liabilities. Potential therapeutic strategies involve increasing signaling by endocannabinoids (EC). The pathways involved in the biosynthesis, uptake and degradation of EC provide opportunities for modulation of CB1R and some recent evidence with inhibitors of EC uptake and metabolism suggest that these could be exploited for therapeutic gain.”

When I have more time to get back to reading about fixing my stupid, lingering slow transit, I’ll come back to this. I’ve “hit” on it before in my reading as I looked up acupuncture for slow transit. Acupuncture they think does something with the cannabinoid system. You probably knew that. Anyhow, I’ve been trying acupuncture for my food intolerances and GI tract. Funny how life keeps pushing topics in your face by chance. Cannabinoids. Huh. This could be interesting. Talking to a marijuana grower would definitely be considered off the Terri track. LOL!