Money Talks: Part Three (And Final)

Let’s just go to McDonald’s (Maybe our cells won’t know the difference?)

“I know for a lot of people it’s all about the money. I was following some folks around SafeWay the other day as they Save money eating rightpicked up bacon, eggs, muffins, butter and then started adding it up. They tossed everything in the orange juice cooler and said, ‘Let’s just go to McDonalds!'”  (Tim Steele)

What’s wrong with McDonald’s?  Same thing that’s wrong with all processed foods.  Corn oil, hydrogenated soybean oil, high fructose corn syrup, autolyzed yeast extract, and dimethylpolysiloxane to start.  These are not the things that our cells use to function.  For every calcium they pull out to use, they’re having to figure out how to eliminate the dimethylpolysiloxane.  For every magnesium you ingest, they have to put out the fire (almost literally) from the corn oil and hydrogenated soybean oil being incorporated into your cells.  Years of this mistreatment, and the body finally succumbs to chronic diseases:  diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, arthritis, and autoimmune disorders.  The body just is not getting enough of what it needs and the trash from what it doesn’t need is accumulating, causing disease.  Your doctor can’t change it.  Your husband can’t change it.  Only you can change it.

And if you have young children who can’t go to the grocery yet themselves, you can largely control the outcome of their health story.  Buying them good, whole, real foods.  Educating them.  Setting examples for them.  Staying the course, just for them.

Today is the last post on ways to try to make eating whole, real food a reasonable price.  Part I is here.  Part II is here.  And today is Part III.  Thanks for reading.

The Final Tips on How to Make Eating Right Affordable

If your family doesn’t eat leftovers well, then freeze them that night and label them to pull out later!  Then, next time you thaw and reheat them, serve them up attractively on plates so they don’t know they’re eating leftovers.

If you see veggies and fruits going spare in nature, ask!  We live in town, but people here still have apple trees and gardens.  It’s so sad to see tomatoes and apples rot in the October frost.  So if it’s getting to the end of the season, go ask if you can pick the apples, pears, and tomatoes going to waste!  Free is cheap.

Shop from a list to prevent any impulsive buys suggested by your own brain or kids.  My kids always ask for juice.  Is it on the list?  Is that what we came here for?  Uh.  No.  No juice.  It’s not really good for you anyhow.  Impulsive buys are usually expensive buys.  Make your list and stick to it to save money.

Shop around.  This is where time plays a role and makes budgeting a challenge.  But to trim costs, you really must shop around.

Fish.  No.  Not buy seafood.  That can be expensive.  But go fishing!  Go hunting!  Not your thing?  Bum food off of people who do!  Wild-caught food that you catch on your own saves money.

Eat only whole, real foods for health.  What?  I’m supposed to be telling you how to SAVE money!  How to make eating this way sustainable–not just repeat my by-line…BUT this one probably saves us the most money.  By eating this way, we dropped an average of probably 2.5 prescriptions per family member (We had terrible allergic rhinitis, all of us.).  Co-pays were running us about 10-20 dollars per prescription.  Let’s shoot low.  We were spending at least $125 per month on prescriptions.  At least.  I didn’t tally in over-the-counter stuff, antibiotics, and doctor’s visits.  Eating whole, real foods saves money by shedding prescriptions and doctor’s appointments.

Avert diabetes and high cholesterol.  For most of us, statistics clearly show we will be obese.  We will have diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and/or high cholesterol—these diseases travel in packs.  (That’s a bare minimum of three prescriptions.)  These are foods of chronic poor food choices in most all cases.  Choose real, whole foods which, yes, take effort to prepare.  I am NOT hearing it loud enough for my tastes yet.  You do not have to have these diseases.  It will take what today’s society considers drastic food changes, but they are not drastic when measured against what we’ve been eating for thousands and thousands of years.  Eating whole, real foods prepared with your own hands can reverse and prevent these chronic diseases.  You tally up the cost.  (Tip:  Look around you.  It’s exorbitant.)

Your Success

That’s all I have time for today.  I want you to succeed.  Your success opens up opportunities for other people.  When you feel good, you can give to the world in the way only you can.  I sincerely believe that.  I hope you have a great weekend.  I hope you have a great life.  McDonald’s and grain flours may be a bit cheaper and a lot less effort in the short run, but it’s ruining the function of your tissues and cells.

If you have any questions about how to get started on this journey which will require much more effort than money, ask away.  Your health depends on it.

And experienced passers-by and friends, leave your tips for others to learn from!  Thanks for prior tips and comments.  You’re the best!

19 thoughts on “Money Talks: Part Three (And Final)

1. Anonymous

So are you freezing your food in glassware? Plastic freezer bags are so easy to use, but I know that the plastic can leach into the food. Didn’t know if you had any other ideas? 🙂

I freeze most hot and fatty things in glass jars. I’ve only had one break. I’ll freeze things that I cool and aren’t fatty, like blueberries, in plastic. Space is an issue and plastic does take less storage space. I’ve become a little conscious lately that our meat is packed in plastic, and ideally, I wouldn’t be thawing it in warm water, which I do. So I have room to improve, but we’re much better.

Shopping from a list is such a big one. You are so right – when I buy off list is when it gets expensive. I did online shopping for awhile and although the products were a little more expensive it actually cost me less overall each week as I didn’t stray from the list! I must do this more often. I’m just not usually organised for it.

I had a win with Monkey this morning which you will enjoy.

Me: Monkey what do you think you want for dinner tonight?
    (I don’t ask him every day – more like a Saturday treat as Max and I are going out for dinner tonight).
    Monkey: Ummmm peas and broccoli and carrot.
    Me: oh what a great idea. Why don’t we put it with rice again.
    Monkey: That’s a great idea, Mummy. Let’s do that. Yum.

And here I was considering allowing chicken nuggets. Ha.

Oh my goodness! That is so wonderful! I really am smiling from ear to ear! That he’d choose that for “his” choice for dinner! He’s set up! Holy smokes that I’d have said that at 25! And had your suggestion would have undermined that! Ha! Shows us, doesn’t it!?

And what an interesting point that on-line shopping saved money despite a little bit extra cost. My problem is I walk off without the darn list (but at least I remembered the wallet).

1. wildcucumber

(I’m back, this is one of my favourite topics!)

After a while, you’ll be so used to buying staples that the list is permanently ingrained in your head. I have no problem with buying something and finding out I already had some in the pantry, extras of a non-perishable is a good thing. I have a range of stores I have to go to – one is good for meat, another is good for veg, a third has the best price on butter. Apart from staples, you buy what looks good, fresh and reasonably priced. The produce section is the worst though and I admit it still causes me grief as I live in a rural area of Canada. If I ever have a nervous breakdown, it will be in January, in front of the piles of limp, overpriced spinach.

That is true! All of it. Took a bit to get used to going to different places, but now I do one one day after dance. The other place during violin.—Your imagery of a nervous break-down over spinach in January was wonderful. I could feel it. Got me to thinking what would cause that for me. Probably the apple prices in winter and the apples so small and bruised and my kids loving apples so much. 🙂

Have a great rest of the weekend.

3. wildcucumber

Re freezing left-overs, parchment paper is fairly benign, isn’t it? Maybe we could wrap our food in parchment packages then put that in ye old ziplock? Nice thing about parchment paper is that it can be washed and reused a few times, too. I’m afraid I’m depending on the freezer bag a little more than I should, thanks for the reminder.

I’m an old hand at this frugal and healthier way of eating. Scots background and hardly any $$ when I was raising my kids, it was necessity. Now retired, neither my husband or I are on **any** medications. The kids grew up healthy too, and not too traumatized at eating differently than their pals. So to those of you new to this I say “Onward!”. It is absolutely worth it. The learning curve might seem a little steep at first but you’ll get there.

Great series, nice blog 🙂

4. All Seasons Cyclist

What’s wrong with McDonald’s? They can take any healthy food on earth and promptly destroy it by frying it, adding sugar or a ton of preservatives. The ONLY thing I will consume from McDonald’s is the unsweetened ice tea!

I loved McDonald’s as a kid. I used to eat two Big Macs. Loved ’em. They had the best Diet Coke, which got me through med school. Indiana’s main children’s hospital (Riley’s, at the time) greeted you with a McDonald’s at the entry. So McDonald’s gives me happy memories. I’m laughing, but serious. But I know when to leave good Mc-memories in the fryer. (The tea cup scares me.)

I was so happy to hear they are closing tons of McDonald’s because they are having such a bad year!!! Woo hoo! Good food=1, Processed crap=0! Sorry I got a little worked up there.
    It isn’t only McDonald’s that I have a hard time with, it’s all fast foods really. The nice thing is that you can get a home cooked meal here for cheaper that a McDonald’s meal usually.
    I love this series and will be looking at it often I know. Thanks Terri!

Well, they really didn’t need so many. Geesh! We have two in our small town–and not even a play place. Thank goodness, or I’d be dead since I’d never have left that place in the winter here, having a place for my kids to stop jumping on the couch in the dead of winter!—I’m simply amazed at what you guys buy in a restaurant there! Last tip of the series: Move to Thailand…

6. Jhanis

Ah it feels like this series was written for me!! LOL Ouch, guilty on the alibis. But for real, it’s so hard to find organic stuff here. There are a few in the supermarkets and I usually make a bee line for the regular once when I see the price. Pfft. The only way I can save is if I buy in bulk at the farmers market and I’m not even sure if they are organic. Good thing fish is not expensive over here and my 4 yo loves fish a lot!

Hi Jhanis! Hello! Good access to fish is awesome! Organic is good on the things they pour pesticides on to make them grow or keep them looking flawless (like peaches here), but it’s really not necessary if that’s a barrier. And locally grown usually trumps because people tend to produce what grows well in an area so it often needs less “bad stuff.” First off is whole and real. Whole and real. Is it whole and real? Then for now, it will pass. (I have my own alibis too. So I usually write from my own trauma. 🙂 Next I’ll have to write on the time and socialization and self-control issues…) Hugs to you, Terri