Grandma’s Osterizer and How to Clean It

Osterizer and the Best Way to Clean a Blender

Regarding Second-Hand Appliances

I figure if an appliance has made it to the second-hand vintage store, that means it’s probably not gonna’ break down on you.  It’s proved itself too hardy to be broken, even when thrown carelessly in the back hatch along with other garage-sale toss-offs.  However, you can pretty much count on your brand spankin’ new appliance breaking on a Friday night about 2 days before the warranty expires.  Not happened to you yet?  Just keep buyin’.  It will.  It has me countless times.  I’m a magnet.

She’s a 1960s Beaut!

I have a lovely pea-green Osterizer blender in my kitchen.  It is a favorite in our home.  How did this 40+ (FORTY PLUS) year- old appliance end up in our home?  Well, when my husband and I were both medical residents back in 2004, we decided to branch into this parenthood thing and delightfully earned ourselves a baby nicknamed “The Screamer” by her sitter.  I would get up at 4:30 in the morning to deliver our screaming baby to the arranged childcare situation.  Sometimes, if my husband and I were both on call, she’d be gone for three days.  This child care arrangement wasn’t ideal for many reasons, including that I nursed her (until she was 18 months), and I was chained to the iron pump when she wasn’t around.  So it was decided that my retired mother-in-law would come to live with us to spoil “The Screamer.”  When it came time for introducing food to our screaming baby, my mother-in-law went back to her house and came back with her ugly Osterizer to make baby food.  Boy did I think that thing was hideous!  I mean, come on!  It does not match my kitchen!  However, it has moved along with us ever since, although Grandma ditched us to go back to her own house.  This once-percieved-as-ugly appliance has become a shining star in my eyes.  (Tears, please.)

I have a love affair with “my” Osterizer.  I’ve given away the two blenders given to us as wedding gifts.  When my father-in-law comes, he checks it out for me and orders any necessary gaskets or blades for virtually the cost of shipping and handling.  Then, she runs like new.  Never a problem with her motor.

My sister saw it summarized best somewhere on the internet:  “Vitamix?  Ninja?  No way.  Give me an old Osterizer.”  IF this puppy’s motor ever goes, I’ll be getting on e-Bay and getting another.  It does great for all the challenges I give it.  I’ve never had a Vitamix, so I guess it’s not fair to say it’s better.  But it’s pretty darn good at only a fraction of the cost.  And eats ice like its warm butter.

A Blender Cleaning Tip

And lastly, my sister also saw somewhere how to best clean a blender–you know, way down in the sharp blade part where you darest not go–and it was such a simple, fantastic tip that I wanted to pass it on!  Just fill ‘er up with some water and turn ‘er on!  (Translation just in case:  Fill it up with some water and turn it on.)  So I’ve taken to rinsing out the blender in the sink and then getting the blade clean with her warm water and blend technique.  If I do this, it gets the green smoothie grime out pretty well!

May you have a glowing week!  Let me know–do you have a favorite old appliance that just won’t go away?  I may be in the market for it!

22 thoughts on “Grandma’s Osterizer and How to Clean It

1. lakenormanprep

Oh yes, the pea green blender. My folks had one of those for years-actually, they probably still have it! You are so right. We have been through an ultimate chopper, two blenders and are now onto a ninja. Maybe I need to start keeping an eye out for an oysteriser for when my ninja dies! 🙂

An ultimate chopper? I wonder what that is. I have been exceptionally happy with the Osterizer. I have chopped wooden and metal spoons in it. That is a feature that may or may not appeal. It still runs with the lid off so not so child-friendly if a kid should decide to delve their arm down there. But a great feature for adding scoops of ice or chunks of fruit. Try your mom’s out next visit! 🙂

2. rose1929

I have the exact same pea green lovely! I have replaced the jar twice in 20 years and I got mine in a thrift store too. I’ve had it so long in fact, that the pea green color has gone and come back again, and now i have a matching glass subway tile back splash in, yes, pea green. It’s keen!

Oh, lovely! I know your kitchen looks great! But too funny how an Osterizer never dies, only goes out of style—for a little bit! I am happy to hear you seem to be of the same opinion of your Osterizer! Have a great week!

3. rose1929

I have the same pea-green beauty. I’ve had it so long, since 1995, that I’ve replaced the jar twice, hanging on to the pea-green top. Using water to clean it is a trick that’s ancient, though maybe not to “youngsters” like you all. I’ve had a love affair with my Osterizer for so long that when I finally got my dream kitchen last year, we did the glass subway tile back splash in the same color! What goes around comes around…..
    Of course you can’t pry my Omega juicer from my hands….

Yep! It was a new trick but I’d love to hear more like it! Maybe my next kitchen will revolve around my Osterizer too. Since we seem to be of the same mind, I should check out an Omega juicer. I still have mine from our wedding but it seems to be wearing out finally. I noted the duplicate response and hope WordPress wasn’t giving you troubles. Sorry if so.

2. rose1929

Yes, a lag time of about an hour convinced me to re-post, only to discover the duplicate later. New, faster laptop too. Aargh.
      One of my favorite lines is from Jeffrey Tucker, author of Bourbon for Breakfast. He says, (I’m paraphrasing) our great grandparents were plowing the virginal prairie with mules and a big plow, but we are flying through the air in metal tubes, griping about how slow the internet is. Kind of an interesting thought when we look at our mother’s and grandmother’s old Osterizers and realize it was their food processor! I even have my mom’s old “Entertaining with Your Osterizer” booklet with the “beehive” Osterizer on the front (I have one of those too, in white!). She had marked a recipe for pimento cheese and noted in the margin, “impressed the guests” referring to a successful dinner party menu. That would’ve been around 1953, when a dinner party could make or break your husband’s career. How mind-blowing is that???

I’ll be passing on that paraphrased quote all over the place! Great one!
        I’ve never seen a beehive Osterizer, but I know I’d like it! Isn’t that so neat about the booklet and the marking on the pimento cheese recipe? The spirits of The Osterizer. Your Osterizer must have good karma! I think mine does too.

4. The Vanilla Housewife

She is a beauty Terri! You do not know just how long I have wanted to have one like that! No other brand will do. I had my heart set on an Osterizer. Thankfully, a very good friend sent me one and it is now my most prized possession in the kitchen. 🙂

Said friend should have shipped you the green oldie. That’s what a real friend would do. No matter. I’m sure she thought you’d appreciate a new one even more. Hugs across the waters and may you and your family shovel in tons of fruits and veggies via a blender!

My mom got me a Kitchen Aid mixer before I was married for $25 at a yard sale. I never wanted it because it is like that harvest gold color from the 70’s. Once I got married and all the old colors came back into style I was psyched. The thing is amazing and I can’t believe it still sells for like $300!

6. Wiese

Just cleaned my Ninja with water! It worked great. I tried out the green smoothie recipe in it and it didn’t do too bad. I think that it’s a definite must to add the liquids, greens, and then the ice. Kind of a pain taking the lid on and off though. Your smoothie recipe turned out great for me, unfortunately my daughter didn’t like it as well as when we were at your house.

I just kept making them for me, and then my two snobby ones finally succumbed and started to like them. Maybe yours will too! When the Ninja breaks, go for the Osterizer! It’s the tops! That was a great tip, and you can come back any time for “green shakes.” Thanks for dropping a comment!

7. Corina Lorens

OMG!!! This looks so retro, so amazing, so beautiful! I want to buy from somewhere such a vintage looking blender! And what an easy way to clean it! Thanks a lot for the article! Brent Park Carpet Cleaners Ltd.